OFFICE MANAGER – MIND MEDICINE AUSTRALIA
Are you a dynamic, detail-oriented multi-skilled professional looking for:
- The opportunity to join an innovative new organisation that is seeking to change the paradigm for the treatment of mental illness in Australia?
- The chance to work with inspiring, dedicated, and curious colleagues in an energising, fast-paced environment?
- Meaning and purpose through working in the not for profit sector helping people who are suffering?
If this is you, then please apply for this exciting opportunity!
Mind Medicine Australia
Australia has some of the worst mental illness statistics in the World with rates of depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, suicide, addictions and the use of anti-depressants all increasing. At Mind Medicine Australia (MMA) we believe that simply doing more of the same, or making only incremental changes to the current system, is not going to solve this worsening problem.
Psychedelic-assisted treatments offer enormous potential in providing a very meaningful alternative to current treatments. This approach has already been given ‘Breakthrough Therapy’ designation by the Food and Drug Administration in the United States, and we have seen positive research trials taking place at many of the most prestigious universities in the world.
MMA seeks to establish safe and effective psychedelic-assisted treatments for mental illness in Australia. As a registered charity (with DGR-1 status), we seek to raise awareness through education, promote the development of the best legal and ethical framework, ensure that therapists are appropriately qualified and support clinical research and development towards safe, regulatory-approved and evidence-based psychedelic-assisted therapies in this country. MMA’s Board, Management Team, Ambassadors, and Advisory Panel members include leading practitioners in the applied treatment of mental illness, psychedelic medical research, health strategy, ethics and other relevant fields from both Australia and overseas.
Key projects that MMA is focused on are:
- Awareness building through education and events and the promotion of a major international medical summit on psychedelic medicine and mental illness in late 2020
- The development of an accredited therapist training program to ensure that qualified therapists are available as and when this therapy becomes legal in Australia
- The development of a preferred legal and ethical framework for psychedelic therapy in Australia
- Arrangements for medicine availability in Australia at low cost, as and when these medicines become legal for therapeutic purposes
- The establishment of a Centre of Excellence in Psychedelic Therapy in Australia for the Asia Pacific region with close links to key universities and industry in both Australia and overseas
- The development of strong international connections to maximise knowledge and awareness in Australia
MMA does not advocate for the non-clinical use of psychedelics or any other prohibited substances, nor do we advocate for any change to the law regarding non-clinical use.
Core MMA Operating Principles
The core principles of MMA are:
- The accurate communication of developments in psychedelic research from around the World with a focus on the science and clinical trial results
- A best of breed approach to honest communications, innovation, education, governance, reporting and back office systems
- Effective use of partnerships to maximise mutually beneficial outcomes
- A learning and team environment where the core objective is to help people suffering from mental illness
- Constant improvement in the way that we operate
As the Office Manager, you will be the key support person providing outstanding administrative, office operations, ICT and project management services that ensure the general smooth running of MMA operations. This will include the management of senior internal and external stakeholders and a growing volunteer network.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of MMA including:
- The handling and coordination of communications to ensure that MMA provides timely liaison, responses and appreciation to all stakeholders, volunteers, donors and members of the public interested in our work
- Managing stakeholders, key individuals, organisations and thought leaders in mental health, philanthropy, academia, government, regulatory bodies and other partners by representing MMA professionally and providing an exceptional client experience
- The preparation of correspondence and collateral, including briefings, presentations, reports, submissions, marketing materials and notes to ensure that written information is comprehensive, accurate and timely
- The maintenance and improvement of MMA databases, ICT systems and reporting procedures to enhance efficiency and support decision-making
- Research and gathering of information on the philanthropy sector, grant-making bodies and potential partners as well as published developments in psychedelic therapy and related areas
- The project management of specific projects that support the achievement of MMA’s organisational objectives
- Development, on-going management and nurturing of a volunteer network. As a not for profit organisation, we rely heavily on the talents, skills and good will of our volunteers. You will be integral in managing these relationships, matching skill sets to MMA’s organisational requirements and optimising the use of volunteers’ time.
- Supporting MMA’s Marketing and Events Manager with large-scale conferences and varied events
- Management of office facilities, equipment, supplies and procurement
The preferred candidate will report to the Executive Officer and work closely with the Chair and Deputy Chair of MMA, other members of the Board, small MMA team and volunteers.
The preferred candidate for the role will have the following skills:
- Demonstrated project management, operational, logistics and administrative skills and a good understanding of how technology can be used to leverage outcomes and improve efficiencies
- Demonstrated people skills and capacity to work as part of a team and lead and maximise the input of diverse volunteers
- Sense of urgency and strong problem-solving skills combined with a capacity to collect and assimilate information from a variety of different sources and juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- A strong understanding of regulatory reporting requirements and accounting and donor management systems
- Excellent presentation skills, ICT, written and oral communication skills and the capacity to deal with people at all levels and areas of expertise
- Strong key stakeholder management, partnership and event planning skills
- Outstanding attention to detail and ability to maintain and improve systems and processes for maximum efficiency
- A broad understanding of and/or interest in the treatment of mental illness, community wellbeing and the not-for-profit sector
- A tertiary qualification is preferred
- At least 3 years’ work experience in a similar role
Below is the full list of capabilities required for this role:
- Demonstrate initiative, flexibility, accountability and a high level of professionalism
- Communicate effectively and responsively
- Possess a high degree of common sense and emotional awareness
- Work under pressure and manage conflicting deadlines
- Display resilience and courage
- Work collaboratively
- Plan and prioritise
- Think and solve problems
- Deliver Results
- Maintain confidentiality and exercise diplomacy
- Optimise business outputs
This will be negotiated with the successful applicant and will be competitive with normal salary levels in the not-for-profit sector for organisations like MMA.
The successful applicant will be based at our South Melbourne office.
To be considered, please send your resume and a cover letter outlining specific relevant experience and five reasons why you are perfect for this position and your expected salary range to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is Monday 8th November 2019.
Applications will be reviewed in order of receipt. This new role is available now.